Saturday, April 29, 2017

When you forget how you do what you do

Yes, that's the title I'm going with.
Because it feels like I've forgotten how I do what I do.

And when I wrote that I remembered a partial poem that came from nowhere this morning and circled in my head on the way to work.
Now I don't know where I was going with it or what it was really about. Oh well! It'll either come back or not.

"There's this niggly feeling I have that reading crap begets crap. 
Constantly going over and over the same shit causes me to lose my shit."

The other night, after ditching the fifth poorly written book in a row, I was desperate for something well-constructed and interesting to read. I read to be entertained. If it's badly written, the characters are wooden,  and the story is ho-hum then there's a good chance I wasn't entertained. More than likely I was annoyed. Now that's not something to aim for.

Luckily I have some fantastic books on my kindle so I went looking for something to save the day.

I'm back reading Livia Lone by Barry Eisler. Because Barry doesn't disappoint and I hope I can erase the horrible books that have assaulted by senses, undermined my ability to construct sentences and tell a story.

It's been a few years of poorly written books, to be honest ... and they do damage with mediocre descriptions, passive sentences, telling not showing. After a while it all becomes normal. It's insidious. I want to shake the writers by their shoulders (smash a few heads into walls).

Maybe there's a plan behind all the crap out there?
Desensitizing us to the horror within the pages. Normalizing bad writing. Giving people who really can't write the ability to believe they can.
NOT EVERYONE CAN TELL A STORY.
It's a truism.
Accept it.
Back away from the keyboard and find your thing ... quite often (judging by what I've come across) it's not writing. Perhaps you are supposed to be a reader? Perhaps you should read a few books ... because as a wannabe writer you should be reading anyway and reading a lot. I'm going to suggest reading books published by an actual publisher and not the free books you can download from Amazon. Or where ever you get your free books. [FYI, not all free books are crap, but, man it seems like there's a lot of bad writing floating around out there at the moment.]
Writers read.
It's part of the deal.
Why would you write a book if you don't read them?
Makes no sense does it?
Yet, I'm getting some pretty strong gut twinges here that are telling me there are a lot of writers who don't read! And more than that, writers who don't read the genre they're writing.

I've even heard writers say they don't read their genre because they're worried ... About what exactly? That they'll plagiarize? Or that they'll learn something and then write something worth reading? Or that they'll find out they're not all that and a loaf of bread?

Guess what?
You're missing out on a lot if you opt out of reading.

In other news:

It's now Saturday and the first rainy Saturday we've had in awhile. I intend to stay home and go over edits and read.
I actually need to finish reading Psychobyte before the Murder in the Library event on Tuesday.
Yes, I wrote it. No, I can't remember everything that happens in it.
Psychobyte was released last winter (July I think), but obviously written at least a year before that. So, you know, I've done stuff since then. I particularly don't want to get psychobyte story lines mixed up with Metabyte (which is due out this year). Currently, that book is going through the editing process, therefore it's fairly fresh in my mind. (And open on my Macbook as I write this.)

Still no release date for Metabyte. Kinda annoying but you get that. There is a backlog waiting for formatting, no doubt my publishers will let me know when it's ready and then I can pick a date.
Don't have the final cover yet either, so can't share the trailer with you.
Fed the cake more scotch yesterday ... so we have cake!
No clue how I'm going to ice this one. That's a surprise for later.
The main thing is getting a release date so I can plan the launch and make sure everyone has enough notice (like the Mayor, he likes 6-8 weeks notice of events).
Plus I'd like My Knight to be here so the more notice the better, after all, he has the farthest to travel.

Coffee time.











No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive