Wednesday, March 1, 2017

It won't write itself ...


On the way to work this morning (while I was busy ignoring the stabby pain in my right hip) I decided it's time we ran another workshop.
A novel writing workshop - two mornings a week at the shop.
Sound good?
Yeah I thought so.
I'm not going to tell anyone how to write their novel but I will offer guidance as required and make suggestions as needed. I can tell you what works for me and what works for a few other authors I know, but when it comes down to it, how someone writes is a personal thing. There is no right or wrong way to go about writing a novel.

I have come to realize there are a lot of people out there who want to write a novel, novella, collection of short stories (whatever) but lack the self-management skills required to sit ones ass in a chair and actually write the words, every day.

That's where this idea sprang from. So many people jump to the end game ... they want to know about the publishing industry etc etc. You know what? The industry doesn't give a rats ass until you have something to sell.
So, let's start with the product shall we?

Let's start with that blank screen and fill it with words.
Let's not talk about it endlessly.
Let's do it.
Actions get books written.
Action gets you from that first word to those last two words. 'The End'
Once the book is written then you get to say ... "I am a writer."
It's your reward.
You get a sense of achievement. You get to look at the multitude of pages on your chosen device (mine's a Macbook Air) and the final word count and KNOW you did that. Yourself. All those words are yours.
There are few things in life that can top that.

Then comes the other stuff and no one needs concern themselves with that at this stage.

So are you going to write that book you've always wanted to write?

Are you going to get to this point here:


Well not quite here - this is the 9th byte novel, METABYTE. The pink and blue you see are indicating comments between my fearless editor and me.

This is the second edit round.

This book will be released this year by Rebel ePublishers but I don't know when yet. Haven't seen a cover either but that will come. :)

I'm now writing the 10th Byte novel.
CRASHBYTE and it promises to be a doozy.

Now for something that astounded me ... it happened the other day.
But first this - just in case you don't know where I'm coming from;
I firmly believe that the more you write the better you will get and that writing a novel is a giant learning curve. (Possibly that first attempt should remain in your bottom drawer and you should write another novel using everything you learned - although that's not always the case. It was that way for me, I wrote four novels before KILLERBYTE and I don't think I'll ever let them loose on the world.)

So when I heard someone was writing a book about how to write book but they'd never written a book I was astounded. Gobsmacked. What the actual??
I do not believe that someone who has never written a novel can teach someone to write a novel by writing a book about how to write a novel.
There, I said it.
And I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
Unbelievable.





No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive