Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Stepping way way out of my comfort zone ...

So the decision was made by me and Action Man for me to write a novella/short story (30k or thereabouts) from a different POV, still first person, but not Ellie's POV.

[Insert scream here]

Okay, how hard could it be?

Sam is too blokey for me, need to start with someone I might be able to relate to a little bit.
Lee? Possible, but then, military background thing - what really goes on in his head and do I want to be in there? Maybe not, yet.

Purposefully steering clear of Mitch - because that would be jumping ahead too far for this to be released next year. Mitch doesn't become a main character until 2015. (eraserbyte) But Mitch would probably be the easiest to write. I was in his head recently. He takes over a fair chunk of eraserbyte, and I enjoyed his head space.

So, that leaves, Kurt.
Kurt.
Doctor Kurt Henderson. SSA Kurt Henderson.
So the SSA part, the work Kurt, I think I can pull that off. I know a little bit about Kurt (but I know a lot about Mitch ... maybe I should've gone with Mitch anyway??)

Anyway, 7000 words later, in just two days ... there is a story, there is some fun to be had being Kurt ... so far it's all work.
What will happen when he goes home? Sooner or later, he has to go home. Even Kurt cannot work all the time.
I know what his house was like. Thanks to a Christmas story I wrote last Christmas? I know he reads a lot. I also know he has a partner now and a child. He's going home to a family. That's different.
*head desk*

What do blokes do at home (behind closed doors)? Do we need to know? Do I want to know? Can I get into his head? What actually happens in there? Who is he as a person? What's important to him? He's not like the other two blokes - that much I know. He might more like Mitch is his outlook. (hope so, really hope so)
[Yeah still hearing the screaming in my head.]

(Bloke is such a great word, should be used more. Superman refers to one of his neighbors as 'The Bloke' always makes me laugh. He does it because of that ad a few years ago with the little kids. "DIY it's in our DNA")

Scroll down, I'll put the clip in. Gotta love it.

So, today, I'm being Kurt ... it's not easy. I am quite away from my comfort zone. Which I know is a good thing. It's making me think about scenes differently and view things differently. Fresh eyes?? It's also giving me some unexpected insight into Ellie. Action Man asked if I was going to explore Kurt's feelings for Ellie ... yeah nah, maybe? It is interesting for me to see her through his eyes but I haven't really got right in there yet. Little bit of trepidation ...









No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive