Thursday, August 22, 2013

Writers write ...

Yep, we do. We write.
Kinda self-explanatory, you'd think?
I thought so too.
But every now and then someone will ask me what I do ... usually it causes a little bit of amusement for me. I say "I'm a writer."
Person: "Yes, but what do you do?"
Me: "I write."
Person: "What else do you do?"
Me: "I write."
Person: "It can't take long to write a book. What else do you do?"
I stare at the person in disbelief and it occurs to me that they probably have never written anything longer than a grocery list.

It's like the person thinks books magically appear - no effort - no thought - just poof there's a book on the shelf.
Ummm, no.
It's not magic.
Writing is a mind-consuming and time-consuming occupation. From the first word to the release of the book - is about 18 mths to 2 years. It obviously doesn't take that long to write the book, but there is more involved than the writing. A novel (100k+) takes me anywhere from three to 8 months to get a completed first draft.

Person: "But what do you do when you're not writing?"
Me: "What?"
Person: "When you've finished writing. I heard you've finished the next book ... so what are you doing now?"
Me: "Oh right, well, I'm still writing."
Person: "It's finished."
Me: "No, it's a first draft. It'll be FINISHED once it's published in, probably, 2015."
Confused look.
Person: "Then why did you say it was finished?"
Me: "I said it was a finished first draft. It has a beginning and middle and an end."

I feel the urge to slap the person upside the head. How I resist is beyond me.
Then I remember I'm a nice person (stop laughing, you) and I use my patient voice and tell the person I'm still writing. I never stop writing. There is always something I am working on. Whether it's tidying up/tweaking scenes in a newly completed manuscript, writing a short story, writing a new novel, writing a screenplay ... it doesn't stop.

Then I go home and kill them in the next story.

The sky is blue, water is wet, writers write.



And while I'm at it ...
the best place for kiwis and Aussie's to buy paperback versions of my books is Bookdepository
They retail for around $22 NZ. Give or take. :)








No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive