Thursday, March 28, 2013

Writing those tricky scenes

You know those scenes... the ones you either don't really want to write (for a variety of reasons) or those that are technically tricky to write without losing pacing and momentum.

When it comes to those ones I just don't want to write - it's simply a case of sitting down and just freaking doing it.  Deal with the fallout later - that's what wine is for.

The other type of hard scene, they take some working out. Those are the ones that make me look like a lunatic. I'm not even kidding. They are the scenes where I find myself out of my chair acting out the situation or waving my arms about or talking to myself while doing all of that.
Why?
Because I'm a visual person I can see the scene unfolding in front of me and I need to come up with the best way of describing what's happening and sometimes the best way to do that is to become part of it. (Cos that's not insane ... )

Today for example - I had a scene to write - a fun scene involving SWAT. And that's where it all became a tad tricky. Silly me for thinking it would be straight forward ... so anyway, I'm writing away, enjoying it. And bam, the guy with Ellie loses his comms. Uh oh.
That means hand signals.
That means long winded explanations.
Nope, that means I'm out from behind my desk doing the hand signals and coming up with smoother ways of explaining the sequences. Such fun!

It all worked out. Involved a lot of thought, a lot of hand signals and a lot of moving around ...

The moral of this story ... don't be afraid to leap out of your chair and work stuff out. It's fun. It really works.

:)

And now I'll have a cuppa.

Happy Easter.

xx


No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive