Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Next Big Thing


Special thanks to one of my Writer's Plotters, Michael Gray, for tagging me in this ... 

These are the rules:
* Give credit to the person / blog that tagged you (done that!)
* Post the rules for the blog hop (done that!)
*Answer these ten questions about your current WIP (Work In Progress) on your blog (done that!)
*Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them. (suckers… I mean, done that!)

Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing:

What is the working title of your book?
We’re way passed ‘working title’. Soundbyte is due out in May - I've just finished the first round of edits that came back from my lovely editor - so sometime in the next few days I’ll send the manuscript back for round 2. The other projects are a recently completed novel in the same series titled databyte. And the teleplay is tentatively called ‘For Immediate Action’ - the pilot is finished and I’m now working on episode 2.
Probably easiest if we talk about Soundbyte here today.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Why does it have to come from somewhere? Hmmm? Okay sometimes my books do come from a particular event but not this one. The idea grew after I wrote “Not the ideal way to start a Monday”. No, I’m not joking. That’s it. That’s the line that grew into a 104k novel.

What genre does your book fall under?
Crime Thriller with a little bit of paranormal/insanity… oh hang on, I don’t think insanity is a genre per say.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Claire Danes - SSA Ellie Conway
LL Cool J -  SA Sam Jackson
Josh Hollway - SA Lee Davenport
Noah Wylie - SSA Kurt Henderson
Mark Harmon - SAC Caine Grafton

And no, that didn't take me long. :) It’s not like I think about it or anything…  also, to be quite clear, I’d sooner my books became a TV series not movies that doesn't mean there would be any cutting off noses to spite faces, it’s just my preference, that’s all.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Really?
Ready?
Here ya go,
The murder of a diamond cutter and his family sends SSA Ellie Conway and Delta A traipsing across Northern Virginia trying to locate an abducted woman and missing diamonds.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
This is the 5th book in a series and will be published by Rebel ePublishers in May 2013. All the Byte series have been published by Rebel ePublishers. So, no, not self-published but I don’t have an agent. (That is a much longer conversation and this is a very busy week!)

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Shit, I don’t know. About 5 months probably. I've written two novels, several short stories and a teleplay in the last year… and I’m sure other things that I've forgotten about already! I cannot be expected to remember how long things take. They take as long as they take. ;-)

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
This is a question that I truly HATE. I know why people ask it, it’s a marketing question - so people who like X and Y will hopefully try this book, if I tell you it’s like X or Y.
BUT, it’s not like X or Y. And I HATE that marketing requires me to try and jam my work into little boxes! Okay, rant over.
I actually have to answer this question for a radio interview… so I have an answer I prepared earlier:
Soundbyte could be best described as a quirky James Paterson novel with the thrill of Jeffrey Deaver’s Kathryn Dance novels and the energy of Lee Child’s Reacher series.  In a very general sense!
(And I wrote that description about Flashbyte, which is the latest release from the Byte Series, but it works for the entire series.)

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I wasn't inspired by anyone or anything to write this book. My main character just started talking and expected me to follow along. It’s what she does. And she doesn't shut up until I have her story completed. But as I was writing this one it became obvious that I had a chance to touch on a subject that I have strong feelings about. I can’t tell you what that is - because it will give away the ending. You'll just have to wait until May. 
Then I shall go into hiding. ;-)

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I love that I've done so much prep for an upcoming radio interview…

Soundbyte is quite different to anything else within the thriller genre simply because of the way I write. I bring my own energy and originality to the page, which helps to keep up the frenetic pace throughout the story. This is a first-person character driven thriller. The story is told in such a way as to allow the reader to really connect with the main character.
Men want her, woman want to be her.

Oh my God that sounds so fucking wanky...

Next Five Big Things (hyperlinked to their respective blogs)


No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive