Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thinking out loud


Killerbyte:
With a new and exciting voice, Cat Connor introduces Ellie Conway, an FBI Agent who challenges the rules with her attitude and her sense of the ridiculous in Killerbyte – a serial murder case connected with Ellie’s internet poetry chat room. With a litter of bodies ‘presented’ in unexpected places, Killerbyte is a provocatively bizarre and entertaining dance.  Ellie, with the aid of Mac Connelly, must track down a seemingly motiveless and ghost-like murderer, who defies detection. 
Terrorbyte:
Ellie Conway is back: wisecracking, kicking ass and using her psycho-prophetic talents to grapple with a murderer with ulterior motives, secreted behind a series of grotesque crimes. Now a Supervisory Special Agent, Ellie is confronted with a series of terrifying crimes. She and her team race to solve murders and to try to find the connections. The case takes a strange twist when a Russian FSB Agent, Misha Praskovya, joins her team. His actions lead Ellie to believe that he knows more than he is prepared to admit about the perpetrators of the murders.
Exacerbyte:

SSA Ellie Conway is well aware how delicate life really is, so when the child trafficker known as Hawk surfaces in New Zealand, and the Director suggests 'Delta A' welcome Doctor Kurt Henderson to their ranks she agrees. The events that unfold haul Supervisory Special Agent Ellie Conway out of her comfort zone and into a terrifying personal situation. Delta A work to find missing children in New Zealand before they disappear forever.
This time Hawk has found a new place to meet his vulnerable prey. He's broadened his net, and increased his activity.
And he’s watching…

Flashbyte:
Woken by the news that she’d been strangled in a parking lot, SSA Conway knew it was going to be an interesting day.
The incident escalated into a week from hell with bank robberies, snipers, truly bizarre packages, and more reports of her death. What Ellie did not expect was old friends (good and bad) reappearing, see-sawing with more than the usual amount of kickass energy. Just so Delta A didn’t get bored, the universe tossed in an extraordinary rendition, lost memory, and a visit to the past that anchored the present.
I can hear you wondering what exactly I'm thinking about - looks like blurbs, yes? Because they are... four blurbs. One each from the four published Byte novels.
(And for the record, I am NOT self-published, I have a publisher. An independent publisher, Rebel ePublishers. And I don't like this trend of self-published authors calling themselves 'indie authors' or 'indie publishers'... it's misleading and I think detrimental to the indie publishers out there who are actual publishers - by actual publishers I mean they do not charge fees, they publish other people work, there is a submission process, they have editors, a design team, and work bloody hard getting recognition for their authors and supporting their authors in marketing and promotion. *Steps down from soap box*) 
Carrying on with that weak thought process from earlier... here's the tentative blurb for Soundbyte. 
A winding trail of subterfuge littered with diamonds sends SSA Ellie Conway and Delta A traipsing across Northern Virginia trying to locate an abducted woman. Meanwhile, Ellie’s daughter Carla leads Ellie on a merry dance of her own as she flexes her teenage muscles.
That blurb will change - it's the first rendition.
The thing is - I just sent Soundbyte off to our lovely editor so depending on the stack of manuscripts already on her desk... will depend on when I hear whether or not she loves it and whether or not the 5th byte lives.
Meanwhile - as you know - I've been fiddling about with (about 40k into) a new 6th byte novel. Well, this is the thing. I'm not thrilled. Wasn't thrilled with the old 6th byte - so I killed it, not thrilled with the new one. So, I'm going to gut it. GUT it. I don't know how much will survive, maybe the bits that make me laugh, maybe a few drive-bys.
Last night, I didn't really sleep properly. I wasn't awake but I was conscious of my thoughts, conscious enough to know that I was getting ideas for the re-forming of this 6th byte novel. The new character will stay. In fact it will center around him. I think the piece I was missing was his actual involvement in the story, he's not the sideline character I thought he was. This is his story.
I'm not even sure that this is about images like I thought it was... although it maybe, given the new guys occupation.




No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive