Thursday, December 8, 2011

What does it take?

Turns out I am patient, a lot more patient than most people. Also, loyal. It's been my downfall before. I won't let it be my downfall again .

My patience has run out. More about that in another blog when I know exactly what's happening.)

Right now I want to explore a VERY pressing issue. (That may or may not have something to do with the above.)

When books that get scathing/horrid/dreadful reviews sell and books that get awesome reviews don't - then it's time to re-evaluate the way things are being done. Yes? Where is the sense?

The time I gave a bad review to someone - I didn't mention the title of the book and didn't put it on Amazon, I did it here - because I know people will buy crap because someone said it was crap. They feel compelled to see for themselves. It's like watching a train wreck.

So, why doesn't that work for great reviews?

Why don't people go, "It can't be that good, I better see for myself."??

My question to you...

What does it take to get people to buy really good books?

As someone who (knock on wood) has only had great reviews (some so good I cried) and whose sales are utter crap. What does it take?
It ain't the products.
The products are excellent and well worth reading.
So what is it?

What's the magic thing that drives people to buy books??

4 comments:

joandelahaye said...

I know how you feel. I think most writers do. There are so many of us competing for a small audience. There are over 100 000 new books published every year. 70% of authors are lucky if they sell more than 100 copies of their books. It's only a small percentage of writers who can actually live off the money they earn from book sales. It's a hard slog to get your name and your work in front of a large enough audience to actually get anyway. It takes a long time and a lot of hard work. But don't lose the faith. You WILL get there.

Cat Connor said...

Thanks Joanie.
I'm struggling to understand how crap sells but good books don't. There has to be something that makes a difference???

I think faith is long gone -this year has worn me down.

joandelahaye said...

Unfortunately publishing is an incredibly tough industry. It takes a LONG time. You're an amazing writer and you do have fans who love your books. Focus on that. Take a break, go walk on the beach, smell some flowers. Read all those good reviews. The sales will come!

Cat Connor said...

The time has come for some big changes! Sales won't come without the world knowing who I am , that wont happen without backing and real world promo.

Watch this space! :-)

I see you...

Blog Archive