Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Having some fun...

The other day I had the urge to write a kids book - a picture book with words. The more I looked at Romeo asleep on his bed the more I knew he needed to be in a book. Not just a book for adults, like "Wherefore Art Thou" - the kiwi mystery I'm working on. but something kids can enjoy. (I hope they'll enjoy it, anyway.)

So today, with a little help in the photography department by my friend Anna, I finished the book.

It's for five really cool kids.

I've printed and bound two copies. One for my kids and one for Anna's.

They're numbered. I will at some stage print the other three copies, that I intended to print, and that will be that.

I also was fiddling about with a short book for kids about Romeo (and Greyhounds in general). Not sure what I'll do with that yet, or if I'll do anything with it. It's just something fun for me to do... this is me taking a break. :)

I mess with stuff when I'm not "writing".

It's not easy writing for kids, even for kids I know - or especially for kids I know. I much prefer writing for adults. If I scare an adult, that's awesome... but I don't wanna give kids nightmares, so for me, writing for kids is about keeping it fairly simple and NOT killing people.... (That makes it hard.)

These are a few of the moments that made me want to write about Romeo:



4 comments:

Muffin Mum said...

He is so lovely. He has the look of a devoted grandfather.

cat said...

I think it's his patience... that makes him look like that!

Karen from Mentor said...

Awww. I want a miniature cuddly stuffed romeo doll that I can feed from a bottle.

I'm trying REALLY hard to picture you writing something that's not littered with corpses. Trying...trying...trying....

*smooches you, goes back to editingland*

catconnor said...

There was an amazing amount of restraint involved... but not in a fun way.

*No Duct tape was used in the making of this book.

Romeo is very cuddly - was surprisingly easy to get used to hugging such a slim dog. :)

I see you...

Blog Archive