Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Life imitating art?

A few years ago The Boy Wonder was studying On the Beach by Nevil Shute in English class - they were watching the film and using that as the basis for class work - rather reading the book.

While he did that - I read the book, because it'd been a lot of years since I'd read it the first time.
It's not a nice story at all. And with the advent of nuclear power (not just the ability to blow each other to pieces with nuclear warheads) it's not outside the realms of possibility.

Right now - Japan is in crisis. Nuclear reactors are exploding and burning. That's a shit load closer than the nuclear fall-out in the northern hemisphere in On the Beach.

Yesterday we were talking - I made a smartassed comment (I know, so unlike me) about On The Beach in relation to the current nuclear situation in Japan.
In the book and the film, people took cyanide tablets to end their lives - which is a horrible way to die. But I suppose radiation poisoning is worse.
 - on the plus side... drugs are better now, we can die faster and with less pain.

 It doesn't thrill me to see newspaper headlines that read "Apocalypse".

This was in today's Dominion Post: New Zealand safe from Japanese radiation 

Part of me thinks Nevil Shute was onto something - not so much with the war (although I believe we've come pretty damn close at times to an apocalyptic nuclear war) ... but the ever present nuclear radiation threat.


Earthquakes don't worry me as much as the things we create.

On a positive more cheery note: Look what arrived today - aren't they pretty???

2 comments:

Deborah Harvey said...

I've been thinking a lot about 'On the Beach' also. What's happening in Japan now is a massive lesson to the rest of the world ... but I doubt we'll take any notice.

Cat Connor said...

I too doubt we'll take any notice.
The world can and will recover from natural disasters - but man-made nuclear ones? I doubt it.

I see you...

Blog Archive