Friday, November 19, 2010

The Interrogation of Lorenza Ponce!

Today boys and girls we have one of my favorite musicians in the hot seat! I’m so excited I almost hit the power switch on the chair prematurely.
Let’s make Lorenza Ponce welcome – everyone comfy? Good. Let’s begin.

 Cat: What’s your favorite type of takeaway? (Yes, that means take-out in NZ speak)
LP: Chinese, Indian, Korean
 Cat: Describe your current mental status.
LP: Happy!
 Cat: I know how I start writing a novel or story – what is it that speaks to you and says this is a song and then goes far enough to say – this is my next single?
LP: I know I have something when it pulls at my heart. Also, snippets that I know are good usually come in a wave, like channeling.  I never know if something is a single. I ask other people and put out the winner of the poll.
Cat: Do you have a preferred coffee? (You may substitute champagne…)
LP: I drink tea. English Breakfast.  I love coffee but it doesn’t love me. It makes me manic!


Cat: Where did the inspiration for Soul Shifter come from?
LP:  From Frank Sinatra. Here’s a quote from my bio: “A ‘Soul Shifter’ is someone who will turn your blue mood into joyand laughter, without you even thinking about it. They are so cool, or funny, or genuine, that you can’t help being drawn into their world. Frank Sinatra was one of these people. Obviously I never met him, but his music, charm, and talent were so significant that to listen to him sing, read his interviews, or watch him performing, is uplifting. He was a Soul Shifter. I also consider Dolly Parton and Keith Richards to be in this group as well.”
 Cat: Walk us through a typical day. (Seriously we’re that nosy, what did you have for breakfast, lunch, dinner?)
LP: My days are so varied. The only thing that is a constant is that I wake up and have a cup of tea with honey and cream every day, and I go to the gym. I also try to get on some sort of social network every day. Either Facebook or Twitter, or if I’m lucky, both.  I may have a recording session, or rehearsal, or soundcheck and show. Then I will come home and try to write something if it isn’t too late.  If I am on the road I will usually try to get out of the hotel and see something interesting… I call it “going in search of beauty.”  It keeps me sane while on the road. Then sound check, dinner, show, then back to the hotel for drinks and snacks at the bar. Bed 3 am ish whether I’m on the road or not. It’s in my blood. I eat really healthy food. No wheat, very little sugar. I eat lots of salmon, steak,  vegetables, fruits,  good cheeses…organic and free range food… Plus local as much as possible. I’m all about it. I think we need to support our local farmers. Processed food is poison and I feel the root of most illnesses. Nothing can guarantee perfect health but I feel good when I eat as clean as possible.   

Cat: Who do you love to listen too?
LP: George Harrison, Leon Russell, Elton John, old Coldplay, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Tears for Fears, Beatles, Paul McCartney, Badfinger, Lyle Lovett, on and on…
Cat: Diamonds, Amethyst or emeralds?
LP: Amethyst or emeralds
Cat: Who are your favorite writers (musically and otherwise)?
LP: I love biographies and autobiographies. They are inspiring to me. I also love David Sedaris, Jane Austin, Oscar Wild, Cat Connor (!), I also love historical novels. See above for favorite music writers.
Cat: Who inspires you to do better?
LP: My family

Cat: Do you ever put pants on your dog, cat or on the small fuzzy critter that hides your suitcase?
LP: No!
Cat: Describe your ultimate day?
LP: I would be in a foreign country exploring, visiting museums, trying to speak with people, looking at a menu in a language I don’t speak, trying something new.
Cat: Do you have a favorite tour moment?
LP:  I said this in another interview but it’s true so I’ll say it again:
For me personally there was a very interesting 48 hour period starting the day we left Perth to when we arrived and then left New Zealand. The day we left Perth, I got up at 6am so I could go visit the Indian Ocean and take a picture of me in it. It wasn’t until I got back in the cab that the driver told me someone had been eaten by a shark in that exact place the week before. Nice… We left Perth that morning to fly to Christchurch, New Zealand. It was a private jet so we had to stop somewhere to re-fuel. Turns out we stopped in Tasmania. That was exciting for all of us. Who the heck has ever been to Tasmania?? We were all on our cell phone calling everyone we could get hold of, just so we could say, “Guess where I am”. We were like a bunch of kids.
Once we got to New Zealand we had only one day there.  I’m a huge Lord Of The Rings fan. Christchurch, New Zealand is where a lot of the Lord of the Rings scenes from the movies were shot. Jon thought it was so funny that I am such a huge fan of the movies that he actually let me miss sound check to take a day long tour of the movie locations. Normally, the only allowable excuse to miss sound check is death.  
 Cat: Do you have any quirks? 
LP: I tend to worry and can have a little OCD. I make sure the door is locked several times, or make sure the stove is off more than once… those kinds of annoying things.
 Cat: All-time favorite movie and why?
LP: Just ONE? Are you kidding? The Wizard Of Oz, Blazing Saddles, The Shawshank Redemtion, Now Voyager,  Spinal Tap, Pride and Prejudice (The BBC version) If I need to explain why,  then you haven’t seen them.
Cat: What’s your preferred medium when it comes to song writing – pen and paper or computer?
LP: pen & paper
Cat: What drives you?
LP: The music. It comes into my brain and I have to get it out.

Cat: If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
LP: I travel so much I feel satisfied where I am. I wouldn’t want to be too far from my family.
Cat: What was a highlight from your visit New Zealand?  (And it must be time to come back!)
LP: See “favorite Tour Moment”
Cat: What was the most beautiful thing you saw today?
LP: The colorful dried leaves in piles on the ground.
Cat: You’ve worked with some incredible people in the music industry (Carly Simon, Sheryl Crowe, Dixie Chicks and Bon Jovi to name but a few) how much fun is it to work with such icons or is it totally terrifying?
LP: Not terrifying at all. We are all musicians doing a job.
Cat: How many albums have you released?
LP: 5

Cat: What were you before you became a musician?
LP: A toddler
Cat: What can we expect from you next?
LP: Another album in the spring, and lots of live performances with my amazing new band.
Cat: Do you carry a notebook or keep one by the bed for those sudden brilliant ideas?
LP: I try to have a piece of paper with me. I’m not organized enough to always carry a notebook. Although I love the iPhone ‘notes’
Cat: What is the most random thing you have ever written with and on?
New Zealand!
LP: I’m always writing on some random thing. Gum wrappers, paper bags, restaurant menus,  with lipstick, lip liners, sharpees, singing into recorders. I’m a total embarrassment. I can write a song on a crap $50 Casio keyboard, and I have.
Cat: If you’re not playing or writing, what are you most likely to be doing?
LP: These days, either on the internet, cooking, or hanging with friends or family.
Cat: Breezy loves that you play violin and you are probably best known as a violinist but I know you play more than one instrument. How many do you play? Is the violin your most loved instrument?
LP: I play violin, piano, viola, mandolin, guitar and ukulele, in varying degrees of proficiency. I love playing the piano but get nervous playing it live, therefore don’t play it a lot. The violin is my true voice. I say much more with it than speaking.

 Thank you for coming by Lorenza! Hope the chair wasn't too uncomfortable. :)
You earned a glass of champagne!!

Here are some links - so y'all can catch up with Lorenza.

And I shall leave you with this - Breezy's favorite song. 

1 comment:

Karen from Mentor said...

Oh man Lorenza you need to see the wizard of oz on a big screen. I did that and was DELIGHTED to find that the string that holds the lion's tail up is clearly visible in several scenes.

Great interview guys.
Karen :0)

I see you...

Blog Archive