Friday, November 12, 2010

The Interrogation of Joan De La Haye!

 Good morning!! This morning I am delighted to interrogate interview Joan De La Haye, horror author. Hope you're all having a very joyful Friday... let me adjust the heat so Joanie doesn't cook too quick. (You have time to grab a coffee and make yourselves comfortable - so do it now... last chance.)
Everyone settled? Good... let's go.

 Cat: What’s your favorite type of takeaway?
KFC. I love their wraps
 Cat: Describe your current mental status.
A little stressed. Big change usually makes me nervous. And that Glock you have on that table over there doesn't help my nerves.
 Cat: How exhausting is it to be both a Writer and a Publisher?
Pretty exhausting. That's why I've decided to stick to writing. Publishing is a very tough business and sometimes best left to publishers who are only interested in the business of publishing and selling books.
Cat: Do you have a favorite coffee?
I do enjoy a Latte

 Cat: I am almost afraid to ask, because I have read SHADOWS and Jack in one scary son-of-a-bitch – where do your ideas come from?
Shadows was based on a Nightmare. And I often have dreams that I wake up from going: Wow! That would make an amazing book. I try and jot down the basic story outline before I forget it.
 Cat: Walk us through a typical day. (Do you make sure you’re wearing your lucky underpants before you sit down to write, or perhaps you prefer commando? While we’re discussing your underpants, thong, granny pants, boy-leg, something totally sensible in black and cotton?… inquiring minds want to know. (Okay so it was friend Dionne who wanted to know –I think she’s collecting underpants stories.)
Actually I don't wear any, so I go commando. And my day usually starts off with dogs demanding attention, then it's coffee (coffee is very important), I then start up my laptop, check emails, mess around on Facebook and Twitter and then I get down to writing, which often entails just staring at the screen or rereading what I've written and fixing stuff that needs fixing.

Cat: Do you ever see yourself writing a vampire story? (Team Edward or Team Jacob… or are you more likely to join me by stuffing your head into a gas oven than ever going to the Edward or Jacob place?)
I can' believe you asked me that. I'm going to try and forget you did. Mind scrub!
Cat: Who would you turn gay for?
Angelina Jolie
Cat: Who are your favorite writers?
Alexander Dumas, Stephen King, Terry Pratchet

Cat: Who inspires you to do better?
Other Authors. There are so many talented and amazing writers out there that I've had the privilege to get to know over the past two years.
Cat: Do you ever put pants on your dog, cat or budgie?
I think my cat and dogs would probably kill me if I tried something like that.
Cat: Describe your ultimate day?
Hitting number one on the Amazon best seller list.
Cat: Who is your favorite fictitious villain? Or are you all about the hero? Who do you love to hate?
I'm definitely a sucker for a bad boy. And I have to say that Jack is my favorite fictitious villain.
 Cat: Do you have any quirks?(There it is the most dangerous question of all!)
I've got too many to mention. What can I say? I'm quirky.

Cat: All-time favorite movie and why?
That's a tough one! There are so many good movies out there. Asking me to choose one is like asking me to pick a child.
Cat: What’s your preferred medium when it comes to writing – pen and paper, computer, typewriter.
Laptop
Cat: How much do you enjoy being edited? (Bearing in mind we both share the best editor ever!)
I have my moments when I enjoy it and then there are moments when I want to pull my hair out and yell at the computer screen.
Cat: If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
I love traveling and seeing new places, so at this point in time I wouldn't mind spending a year in a few different places. Starting with Greece, then Japan, central Europe, Canada and end up in New York. There's just something about the Big Apple.
Cat: What is one thing you know about New Zealand? (Do not mention LOTR. I hates it… I hates it my precious, not impressed by hobbits or trolls either.)
My sister lives there, so do my cousins. It's that little Island off the coast of Australia. (My cousins hate it when I say that)
Cat: How many novels have you written, both published and unpublished?
Two. Shadows and Requiem in E-Sharp. I'm busy with my third one. I also wrote a whole bunch of really bad short stories which will never see the light of day.

Cat: What were you before you became a writer/publisher?
I was an ops manager at an Audio and Video conferencing company and before that I was in the hotel industry in some form or another.
Cat: What can we expect from you next?
Shadows is being re-released by Ghostwriter Publications pretty soon and I'm now trying to find a home for Requiem in E Sharp.
Cat: Do you carry a notebook or keep one by the bed for those sudden brilliant ideas?
Yes. I have a habit of getting ideas in the shower and dashing out to jot them down. I think I need to see if I can get a waterproof notepad. Do you even get those?
Cat: What is the most random thing you have ever written with and on?
Sadly, I'm pretty boring on that score. I always have a pen and paper on me.
Cat: If you’re not writing, what are you most likely to be doing?
Messing around on Facebook or Twitter or watching TV. I think I may watch too much TV.

Thank you for coming by today Joanie! Hope you weren't too uncomfortable... 
For those of you who are waiting to be scared shitless - I'll post the new buy links for SHADOWS as soon they're available. :) 






5 comments:

joandelahaye said...

Thanks Kitten. That wasn't too bad. My rear isn't too badly scorched. I must say that chair is an interesting torture device, may have to borrow it sometime.

Cat Connor said...

I had it specially made, it's quite fabulous! :)

You can borrow it anytime you like, Joanie. xx

EJ said...

Yeah, that chair. I still can't sit without a pillow and my interview was over two months ago.

Cat Connor said...

Oh Skip - you flatter me. :D My chair is delighted with your continued discomfort.

Shower Thinker said...

Love that you're a shower thinker! If you want a tool that allows you to write down your brilliant ideas in the shower, take a look at the product we developed at www.myaquanotes.com. It beats dashing out on a wet floor and risking you neck: ) All the best.

I see you...

Blog Archive