Thursday, August 19, 2010

Go slow?

I got the first lot of edits back from my nobtastic editor on Sunday. She said not to hurry as she's got a lot on at the moment. She knows me well, she knows how fast I write and how quickly I can turn in edits.
It's not because I have to, it's because that's how I do it. I can't help it. I really love the editing phase. LOVE it.

Knowing she wanted me to take my time... I didn't even read through the manuscript until Monday. But by Tuesday night I'd made the first pass and accepted all the commas, alternate words, etc etc and was already thinking about the comments and things were popping into my head.

"Resist. I must resist." became my mantra.

On Wednesday morning I wrote for a few hours. I'm almost at the end of the first draft of book 4. (bit of a misnomer really... there is no actual first draft. It's not like I write draft one then re-write the entire thing and call it draft number two. The first draft will eventually be the final draft. Once I reach the end on the first draft, that is The End. Everything is then built on top of this version. Sometimes the only thing that remains unchanged is the end.
As I said I wrote - I'm close to the end of one very sticky and truly tricky thread so it was good, I had to concentrate. But once I picked Breezy up from Kindy I was done writing for the day....

Edits and ideas spun in my head. Reality set it, resistance is futile.

So last night I started addressing the comments... I was sure I would just do the first four. Just to satisfy myself that I was doing something and to shut up the voice in my head.

Yeah right.

Let me just say at this point, there aren't that many comments that need addressing. I'm going to have to sit on my hands for a few days to stop myself finishing this before the weekend.  :)

I'm having too much fun by far.

No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive