Sunday, February 7, 2010

There's cool, and then there's the ultimate in cool.

This has been brewing all all weekend - I've sat down a few times and written a couple of lines only to abandon the blog for something else. (writing, reading, making dinner, drinking really really good red wine... pretty much anything really - but don't feel bad, it's not you - it's me.)

I did manage to stop by Tom Schreck's blog earlier today and discovered he was talking about Steve McQueen... now Steve was all kinds of cool. I loved Steve McQueen - had posters and everything.
So anyway Tom was talking about The Great Escape - which just so happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

Which got me to thinking about a scene in terrorbyte - and how while I was writing it Ellie fell into something that she likened to a scene from Stalag 17. I preferred The Great Escape but she insisted on William Holden and Stalag 17 - guess she knew what she was doing. After all, it's her story. (But I would've gone with The Great Escape or even good old Hogan's Heroes.)
[Recent times cool for me is Patrick Swayze and Sam Elliot in Road House. I love that movie!]

Then, my mind wandered to what I'm working on now - and a new character I rather like, who himself is all kinds of cool. So I thought about that for a bit ... and started to wonder where my interpretation of cool comes from.

Obviously I've had it a long time. It grew with me.

I was one of those girls that never really liked girly books, and I wasn't too fond of dolls really. I had an Action Man and a GI Joe. (Guess that says something right there huh?). Of course I had baby dolls and so forth as a small child and I liked them just fine - and books about girls and horses and such.
But the thrills came from Commando comics.
I never really read superman or those type comics - just the war ones, Commando and Battle. Commando being my preferred comic. Had to work quite hard to convince my brother they were the ones he wanted...so I could get my mitts on them. If I wasn't reading (boys books as well as comics) I was watching old war movies. Or running around in the bush with a pearl handled pocket knife in my pocket, making bow and arrows. (Cos that's how it was when I was a kid)

But really - I think my version of cool - comes from my father and my grandfather. Very cool men indeed. It's what I grew up with. Men who took charge, stood their ground, who could be relied upon in a crisis, made smart choices, could fix anything, and do it all with a wry grin.

Yup, I think that's where it comes from.

Who epitomizes cool for you?

Now to go make Rice Bubble cakes for the Boy Wonder's girlfriend. :-) Cos he just sent a text asking if I would... :-)

Wanna know a secret?  The Boy Wonder - is all kinds of cool too.

6 comments:

Phil said...

Yes, "listen" to Ellie. Stalag 17 is THE film. Totally out-cools (is that a word?!) anything else!

Cat Connor said...

Looks like a word to me Phil!

So you're with Ellie then.
Can't tempt you with The Great Escape??

lol

Sara J. Henry said...

OMG, I had a GI Joe, too.

Cat Connor said...

Why am I not surprised? I'm sure we must be related!! lol

Karen from Mentor said...

I just saw The Great Escape over the weekend.

Cool for me is anyone who is honorable. Say what you mean and do what you say.

That's too cool.

Cat Connor said...

Yes honor. That is cool indeed!

I see you...

Blog Archive