Thursday, October 22, 2009

The characters that drive me crazy...

We made it to Thursday night -fabulous! It's not like we wouldn't but whether or not we'd all be intact was debatable. Seems like the last few weeks have been a tad rough.

Monday I realized one of my two new characters was a total pain in the ass to work with. Not a good thing to discover at all.
Don't get me wrong -I like him fine. It's just that he's so far out of my comfort zone that I flounder at times with his life style, hence it all becomes a bit of a pain in the ass. lol

Mostly I can write without stretching too many cerebral muscles. (And then my editor coughs and splutters and says things like... "That phrasing is inelegant and not like you at all." And I hang my head in shame and break out the grown-up words. She really hates when Ellie wants to slap anyone upside the head. - but damn it, it strikes at the core of who Ellie is, to be thinking and maybe even doing such a thing. - I'm so glad my editor really does like me!! lol)

Some stuff comes fairly easy to me - like Ellie for example. She's a dream character. She really is. I understand her reactions to everything. I can see her world like it's real, like I could reach out and pick up the Glock she just placed on her desk. (Rain - I see you giggling... hush now woman!)

But this guy. Holy crapdoodle.

There is so much to his life I just don't grasp at all. And I don't think it's going to matter how many rock concerts I go to. Let's face it, I've been to a lot of them over the years. Some BIG some not so big. Some stadium, some town hall, some nightclub... I used to go to everything once upon a teenage year! And since I've been to a few big names. (Been both half-drowned and frozen in the process, lol)

Trying to figure out things that I can't know, like - what can you see from the stage in the midst of a concert? How much can you hear of what's going on out in front of you? Is it possible to recognize anyone from previous gigs- from the stage, anywhere within the first say ten rows? That's one of the most important questions I need to answer.
How much security is there near the band while they're on stage? What are they looking for? How quickly do they react?

All very necessary to some really fun scenes. I can probably make it up (the joy of fiction) but - there are people out there who will jump up and down and spit tacks if us writers get something wrong. It's odd, especially for fiction but I just bet we all know one or two people like that. I'm blessed in knowing more than one or two and they'll be LOUD if I get it really wrong - for my own good! :-) It's all in the details.

Me and Rowan have been down this road before - I think as a character he fuc'n rocks... even more so now I've tweaked him a smidge. He's got a harder edge and a darker side to him.

Some parts of his lifestyle are now a lot easier - there are some things that happen because of who he is (later, folks) and they're easier to write, and the way Ellie reacts is a helluva lot of fun. Plus it's something I've researched a lot, so - easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Not so the being on stage thing.

We'll get there. :-)

4 comments:

Hagelrat said...

You need to go chat up a guy in a band. :)

Cat Connor said...

Funny you should say that....

Karen from Mentor said...

Could you follow up chatting him up by slapping him upside his head?

I absolutely know that you can be recognized later on by a guy onstage if you were in the first two rows....especially if you...during the....and then.....because it was.......and you were wet...
:0)

Cat Connor said...

Why am I not surprised? really! LOL

:-)

I see you...

Blog Archive